November is Make a Will Month
November is Make a Will Month in Ontario, a month dedicated to raising awareness of the importance of having a will in place.
10 Reasons WHY You Should Have a Will:
- YOU can choose who of your loved ones will receive your property and/or sentimental belongings after you pass.
- YOU can decide which charity/charities
- YOU can choose the person(s) that you trust most to manage your estate.
- YOU may be able to offset estate taxes.
- YOU can have control of your assets after your passing.
- YOU can name a guardian(s) to care for your minor children.
- YOU can decide when minor children/grandchildren will receive their inheritance and for what.
- YOUR Executor can avoid a lengthy probate process.
- YOU can indicate your final wishes pertaining funeral, cremation etc.
- Having a Will helps to make the administration of your estate much easier for your loved ones and can avoid family disputes.
When Should I Make A Will?
- You recently got married or remarried
- You are currently in a common-law marriage
- You recently went through a common-law separation or divorce
- You have assets such as property or vehicles
- You have a child(ren) and/or other dependents
- You own valuable heirlooms such as art or jewelry
- You have assets that as a result of your death may cause tension among surviving family
- You own a business or investments
- You have a cause that really matters to you that you wish to donate to